Wednesday 22 February 2012

Free Motion Quilting......

 Is not my strong point, but today I had another go.
 Lets start at the beginning. 
Remember I said I had stitched the remaining strips of Butterfly Fling directly onto my quilt wadding? Well I didn't have the backing in place, I was just working with the batting. I think that's what has been causing me problems. I've tried a couple of times to quilt this one using the Janome, but I don't have the right tools to free motion quilt with it, so I stuck to straight line quilting, even using the walking foot I had major issues with puckering and creasing!!! So today I reacquainted myself with an old friend. I do have the right tools to do a little free motion using my old sewing machine.
I cut out some raw edge pieces and it was 'High Ho Silver and away'. I quilted through all the layers and now my latest creation has Daises. I'm tickled pink. :-)
Though not yet finished properly, even the back looks OK.
I used left over strips for the binding, which is already attached. I plan to spend the afternoon finishing my quilting threads and closing the binding.
These last few remnants went into the scrap box.
Before leaving my playroom I pulled my Charming stars off the quilt rack, it was in 5 bits, 4 strips and a half top! It took only moments to give the parts a quick press and put them together.
This is a Moda Bake Shop pattern. There are two borders to add. Maybe I'll play with that next time.
Right, I'm off to find food. Then I get to relax and play some more.

3 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

well done for being determined (stubon?) enough to keep going and working it out xx

Kris said...

I have enjoyed reading all about your "can't be botheredness". It makes me feel normal. I haven't done any sewing for about a month. I think now though that I'm ready to get back into it. Love the butterfly fling quilt. I have a jelly roll of that kicking around. Must do something with it!!!

SewCalGal said...

You did a super job. I think you'll really enjoy free-motion quilting with you get a foot that floats easier on top of your quilt too. You are a natural.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com