Monday 1 May 2017

Sunday Sew-along.

But first the road trip. 
Debbie, Claire and I all hopped into Claire's car on Saturday and drove off to explore some quilty shops. Three of them to be precise.
Debbie din't really have a shopping list. That is a dangerous position to be in.
Claire was looking to be inspired.
I was shopping for a metre of white on white and a particular fat quarter of kiwiana fabric.
Our first stop was the Oamaru silk centre, now called Clementines. It sits right in the main street of town, on a corner spot with lots of windows. 
Debbie and I found some fat quarters and Debbie also found a shirt pattern.  Claire found a quilt pattern but said she remained uninspired.
*
Next stop was a shop new to all three of us. It sits right on the main highway as you are leaving town to head North. Wisteria Cottage has recently opened. You could tell it is new. I found my white on white and Claire found a charm pack from which someone had stolen a few squares, so that was a bargain price. Debbie left empty handed. I was interested to see that she carries a good range of cross stitch threads and some beautiful hand dyed aida and evenweaves, so although we were uninspired by her quilty content, I may find myself returning for cross stitch supplies. 
*
Our third and final stop was at a wee place Debbie and I have both visited before, but not Claire, she had never heard of the Quilting Shed. Oh boy. Finally she found her inspiration.
 We enjoyed looking at a beautiful customer quilt that was on the frame. I made a quilt years ago using the very same fabrics. The customer in question was having a lesson in longarm quilting and using a pantograph. We all wished her good luck and of course Claire and I both assured her she would soon relax and enjoy herself. The lady who owns the store is very good and was very helpful to me when I visited soon after getting my own frame.
So back to the shopping.
Debbie found a couple of small kits and I think some fabric. I found a book and Claire.....
She wins the prize!! 
She finally found inspiration. Amid all of the amazing batiks carried in store Claire found not one, but two quilt kits. One was throw size and the other a beautiful table runner. Both designed by Jenny Beyer.
 They are beautiful, I may have to go back and get the table runner myself.
I think that particular bill added up to a lot more than all other spending that day!
So suitably inspired we all agreed that there would be a sew-along on the following day.
*
I'm a bad blogger and didn't get any photos!! I even put my own items away without taking pictures!
*
Sew-along Sunday was fun. It was a grey miserable day, with a cold wind blowing.
I finally finished the applique on my Spring Sprouts, which I started in July last year.
Then, because I had promised the pattern to Debbie, I made up a wee kit I've had stashed away for a while. This cute little mug bag was fast to make. (It has a magnetic snap closure which is incredibly powerful I think if I make another I swap it out and use a press stud/popper.) There is plenty of room for not only a mug but also a packet of soup or a few sachets of coffee or tea bags, a spoon and even a tea towel!! 
That was me for the day. I called time at about 4.30 and went off to make dinner.
Debbie meanwhile was playing with the most beautiful blue fabrics.
She made a few more of these blocks, then started playing about with placement.
And even started to think about border treatments!
I'm sure that tiny hint of green is going to POP out much better once the blue and white border goes on.
Claire was hand sewing, LOTS of diamonds for a Mariners compass, which she says has been a work in progress for way too long. She was also dog sitting so was hampered for a time by the needs of her furry friends. I hope she found some time to catch up. She did say she was going to sew late into the evening, while watching quilting and sewing videos on youtube! 
Can't wait to see more of this.
*
So I believe we three had a really good weekend. 
We will be doing it again, only next time the road trip will head North to take in some different shops. Including another one that Claire had never heard of!
Right, I'm off to find something a little warmer to wear and maybe another cuppa. Bloody cold start to the day, there is frost on the neighbours rooftops! The sun is on her way up now though, so it should warm up soon. 
Today I get to play with my sprouts again.
😊

3 comments:

Ali Honey said...

Great trip. I visited all the shops on line to see what they had. I have never been to any of them, altho I have visited Oamaru a few years ago. It certainly sounded like a fun day.

Janice said...

You did have a great weekend. I'm glad you now have a little group of Quilty friends.

Raewyn said...

It does sound like a wonderful weekend - shopping then sewing with friends, cant get too much better!